When there is a rock in our path, we can stumble over it or use it as a stepping stone.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Using Technology, Part 2

This is an actual example of how I use Evernote.      I keep To Do lists on it for each day of the week.   When I think of anything that I want to do, I make sure it gets on one of my To Do lists.  In addition to having one for each day of the week, I have a few lists for longer term items.  Things that I don't want to forget but that don't need to be done on a specific day.

I also give myself a lot of leeway.   Somethings have to be done on an exact day.  Others, such as this note:

"work on part 2 of blog post - scanning data into Evernote has additional benefits such as less for Diana to deal with and also makes life much easier when I go to doctor's office, to get groceries, etc.  What's the next action and the two minute rule also help.  “The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting with the first one.” – Mark Twain"

can easily be moved forward to another day if I am having a bad brain day and not up to getting things like writing a new post done on the day I had planned.

I don't want to make this post too long and I have a bunch of other things on my to do list that I want to get done today.   I know better than to try to do too many things in one day even on days when my brain is functioning fairly well, as it is today.   Experience has taught me that I have an approximately 3 hour max limit to how long I can function at a high level (doing things like writing, organizing, finances, etc.) before my brain starts to noticeably tire and I start to make a lot of mistakes.

So I am going to wrap this post up here and try tomorrow to do another part of the post, i.e., the post I was actually going to write today based on the note to myself above - until I realized that the existence of that note itself was actually the basis for a blog post.

No comments: