When there is a rock in our path, we can stumble over it or use it as a stepping stone.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Bucket List for a dementia patient

I have to confess at the start of this post that I am not now and have never been much of a movie watcher.   Thus I only just learned now (from Wikepedia) what a Bucket List is.    That got me to thinking as technically anyone with dementia has a terminal diagnosis but we are also in a position where our ability to do most of the types of things folks seem to put on bucket lists will be severely limited long before we reach the ends of our lives.

So question for others with dementia:   do you have a bucket list and if so, what types of things are on it?

For myself, the answer is very simple:    Go through all of my possessions and get rid of everything I no longer need and organize the rest so that I can easily find the things I do need and when I can  no longer do my own self care, my roommate / caretaker will know exactly what I have and where it is.


That may not sound very exciting to those whose list includes sky diving and mountain climbing and bungee jumping, etc. but at this point in my life, I am finding the most important thing to me is to simplify my life as much as possible.   I used to thrive on being busy, but now I feel more and more of a need to have my life as simple and calm as possible


2 comments:

Karen said...

If that's what you want, then that's your list. However it doesn't have to be bungee-jumping. Is there someone you would like to meet/see again? A place you've always wanted to visit? There are foundations like Make A Wish that help adults; I told a friend about the options and she got a trip to Disney and Universal with her kids that was a highlight of her life. So don't worry about money. Think big, but doable with your limitations.

Stumblinn said...

There is a lot more to the picture than my dementia, Karen, some of which you know from our emails. I cannot view this only from my own situation but have to look at the big picture.

Thank you though for the info. I am aware of things like "Make a Wish" but others may find this comment who are not and your words can help them.